Where can I go to get help for my health out of hours?

Health issues unfortunately don't leave us alone at the weekend and people are often in need of medical assistance out of hours. Using NHS guidelines, we have provided some advice and information on where you can go for help when your GP is closed.
man sitting inside - looking at camera

Do not attend the Urgent Treatment Centre, Minor Injury Units or Walk in Centre if you are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus.

Call your GP practice, visit www.111.nhs.uk or call NHS 111

If you need support for your health outside of the standard opening hours of your local GP, there are places that you can go for support.

Where you can go to get help out of hours

The NHS pledges to provide services at a time that's convenient for you. They have produced guidance on how best to access services out of hours that can be found in full online.

  • Online NHS 111
    This service is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is a service that provides medical advice as well as the details of the services closest to you that help you deal with your need following a medical assessment.  Only call NHS 111 if you’re unable to get help online or need to speak to someone.
  • NHS 111 First can book you into A & E
    Since December 2020, NHS 111 can book you a time-slot at your local A & E department or arrange an appointment at a minor injury unit, pharmacy or GP if it’s more appropriate. It will also send an ambulance if the patient’s condition is serious or life-threatening.
  • Mental Health crisis
    If you need urgent help because you - or someone you know - is having a mental health crisis, you can speak to trained mental health staff by dialing 111 and choosing option 2.
  • You can get immediate crisis support through UK crisis text service Shout. which is open 24/7. Text ‘SHOUT’ to ‘85258’ to get in touch with a trained crisis volunteer.
  • Visit your local pharmacy
    Your pharmacist will be able to help you with a number of issues. Take a look at four ways that your local pharmacist can help you. Find their opening hours and check opening times using the NHS pharmacy service search.
  • Visit your nearest NHS walk in centre
    If you need treatment for minor injuries or illnesses such as cuts, bruises and rashes you can visit your nearest NHS walk-in centre or minor injuries unit. These are not suitable for treating long term conditions. To be seen at one of these services you do not need an appointment, or to be registered. You may be referred to one of these services by NHS 111, or you can just walk in.

For urgent treatment

  • Wisbech MIU is open 8.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday, with X-ray services available from 9am to 5pm.
  • Doddington MIU  Hours are 8.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday.  X-ray facilities resume from 28 June.
  • Ely MIU is open from 8.30am to 6pm with X-ray services available from 9am to 5pm seven days a week. 
  • Peterborough Urgent Treatment Centre is now based at the Peterborough City Hospital site, Bretton Gate, Peterborough PE3 9GZ.  Open 8am to 8pm, seven days a week.

St Neots walk-in centre 

Offers walk-in appointments for non-registered patients 

01480 219317 

When to visit an urgent care centre

Take a look at the NHS guidance on when to visit an urgent care centre (walk in centre) to find out if this is the right service for your health needs. 

Find out more

Should I go to A&E?

Accident and Emergency departments are for serious or life-threatening emergencies and should not be used as an alternative to a GP appointment. You should go to your nearest A&E if you require urgent medical attention.

For example if you’re experiencing:

  • loss of consciousness
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • fits that are not stopping
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma

Not all hospitals have an A&E department. Use the A&E service search to find your nearest A&E department or read the guidance in full from the NHS to find out more about when to go to A&E.

Out-of-hours medicines

Running out of your medication during the holidays or over the weekend can be a big worry. If you run out the medication you need outside of your GP practice’s normal opening hours and need some urgently, there are a few steps you can take to get an emergency supply.  

Where you can medication from will depend on whether you already have a prescription or whether a prescription is needed. Take a look at the guidance from the NHS to find out more.

Find out more 

Information correct as of 22 December 21

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information