• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Making care better with you

Talk to us 0330 355 1285


I need to sort out a problem with health care

Health services

NHS health services are provided by a range of different organisations from large healthcare trusts to smaller organisations like GP practices, pharmacies and dentists.

The best first option is usually to speak to the organisation who provides the care so they can try and put things right for you. For more information on how to do this see the Citizens' Advice guides.

If you need more help and support to do this then an advocate could help. Find out more about advocacy support. 

My problem is with hospital care, ambulance services, or community care e.g. health visitor

There is a PALS service in each NHS hospital or health care trust who are there to:

  • help answer any questions about your care
  • advise and support you and your family 
  • listen to your suggestions for improving services for patients and visitors
  • reply to your concerns if you are unhappy with any aspect of your care
  • pass on your compliments to staff if you are pleased with any aspect of your care

If you want to make a formal complaint about your care, PALS will give you information about who to contact to do this. 

Find out how to get in touch with PALS

My care is provided by a GP, dentist, optician or pharmacist 

You can go directly to the GP practice, dentist, pharmacy or optician and give them the opportunity to sort the issue out for you. Alternatively, you can go directly to NHS England, who will investigate your complaint.

If you have already complained directly to the GP practice, dentist, pharmacy or optician and are unhappy with their response, you can go to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. You can also approach NHS England who will try and mediate.  They will check all the procedures have been followed correctly but will not re-investigate the complaint.

NHS England also commissions or buys some specialist health services across the country.  Complaints about those services are dealt with by NHS England.


Complaints about hospital or community health care, such as District Nursing

Complaints about primary care services like your GP practice or dentist, and specialist health services