What we've done to share your views
“I’m really proud of the work we’ve done in two areas" explained Val.
"One is the in-depth work we did on dental access, particularly in Peterborough and Wisbech.
And we followed that through and have actually helped to secure extra funding for dental services and access for those who need it in emergencies.
We also did a big survey to help the NHS understand what people want from the NHS in the next ten years. And that proved to be something that brought a great response from people and has been used in planning going forward.”
Shaping the future of the NHS
The NHS published its ‘Long Term Plan’ in January 2019, setting out its key ambitions over the next 10 years.
And we were part of a countrywide campaign to give people a say in how the plan should be implemented locally.
The top issues that people told us they wanted services to focus on are:
- easier access to GPs
- more information and support to stay well
- care closer to home
- and not to be digitally excluded
What local people told us about difficulties travelling to NHS appointments helped trigger a national review of non-emergency patient transport by NHS England.
Highlights from the year
- We were one of six local Healthwatch supporting a national trial to track patients’ experiences of a new A&E standard as part of a Healthwatch England project. This will help the Government set targets for A&E that reflect what is important to patients.
- We organised two Community Values Panels to help our local NHS make decisions about how it could reduce its £75 million overspend.
- We made sure people in Wisbech have the same access to NHS 111 option 2 mental health crisis services as everyone else.
- And we helped set up a new BAME patient group for North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust who run Hinchingbrooke and Peterborough City Hospitals.
Our year in numbers
- Spoke with 4,819 people at 155 events and workshops
- Logged 1,022 pieces of feedback
- Helped 248 people with one to one advice and information
- Published 6 reports – we also published Easy Read editions of our big reports
- Held 24 Community Meetings in Fenland, Cambridge, Huntingdonshire and Peterborough
- Supported people to get involved in 19 Adult Social Care Partnership Board Meetings
- We also posted news and updates on our social media channels a staggering 990 times, receiving 3,521 likes, 1,813 shares and 667 comments
Thank you to all our staff, volunteers, partners and the many people we hear
from and work with in the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough communities.
Your support and involvement helps us make a difference both locally and nationally.
The coming year will be dominated by the recovery from Covid-19 and numerous
Our NHS and social care services will need to work closely together to care for people. And they need your feedback and support now more than ever.
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
We'll be launching our Annual Report at our AGM on 22 July, 2:00pm to 3:30pm. The meeting is online due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Log on and hear about our successes from last year - and our plans for the current one.
Get in touch if you want to join. And we'll send you the link and password.